Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems are designed to control your home temperature and keep your family comfortable the whole year-round. While your air conditioning unit warms your home space during summer, your furnace releases cold air during winter.
But did you know that both your heating and cooling systems need to be maintained twice a year? When you practice this, you’ll be able to keep them in top shape and working order. Fret not, as we’ve rounded up some practical maintenance tips for you.
In this article, we will share how to maintain your heating and cooling systems:
1. Cooling system maintenance
The average lifespan of an air conditioning unit ranges from 12 to 15 years. But with regular inspection and constant upkeep, you can ensure that it will last longer than that. There are a few key steps you’ll need to take to keep it in top shape and working order, such as the following:
- System inspection: A regular inspection of your AC unit is a must. In doing so, you must check for leaks or even cracks on its parts and components, as even minor issues need to be fixed quickly.
- Filter replacement: As far as your AC filter is concerned, the rule of thumb is to change it every four to six weeks. This is because it can significantly accumulate specks of dust, dirt, and other debris that can cause allergies and even damage your unit over time.
- Outdoor cleaning: Be sure to clean off your outside air compressor with water by using a garden hose. Also, clear this compressor so that you can ensure unrestricted airflow.
- Ductwork cleaning: Your unit’s ductwork must be cleaned every three to four years by a professional. With this, it will ensure quality air circulation, which fosters cleanliness and good health at home.
2. Heating system maintenance
On average, a furnace’s lifespan is between 15 to 30 years, but it can be extended with regular cleaning and constant maintenance. Besides that, keeping your heating unit in good condition and working order will also promote safety and efficiency at home. With that said, here’s how to maintain your heating system:
- Testing: Be sure to test your heating system to see if it runs properly. If you notice no warm air coming from the vents, be sure to call a professional.
- Thermostat setting: Always check your thermostat to see if it’s adjusted to the right setting. That way, you can ensure it warms up your home properly.
- Pilot inspection: If you have a natural gas system, never neglect to check the pilot light. Be sure that the flame is blue, not yellow or orange.
- Filter change: You must change your furnace filter each year. If it’s dirty, it will force your unit to work harder, become less efficient, and eventually break down.
- Blockage removal: Be sure to clear any obstructions from outside vents to allow for your heating system’s proper airflow.
Here at Air 1 LLC, we provide cooling, heating, air quality, and Hydronic services for commercial and residential clients. Our expert contractors or experienced technicians carry out our heating and air conditioning maintenance. If you’re looking for expert HVAC services, we’ve got you covered!
Regular HVAC maintenance is imperative, and it must be scheduled and performed at least twice a year. As such, be sure to consider the practical tips discussed above to maintain both your heating and cooling systems. By doing so, you’ll ensure the overall efficiency, optimal performance, and longevity of your HVAC system at home!
We’re a family-owned and operated heating and air conditioning company in Morris County, NJ. If you need HVAC maintenance or repair, connect with us today for a free estimate.